What to do when death occurs
Contact the funeral home as soon as a death has occurred. We are available 24 hours a day. A time will be set up with the funeral director to come in and make arrangements. The funeral home will help coordinate arrangements with the cemetery, church and clergy.
- This is information needed to complete NJ state vital statistics papers.
- Birth Date
- Father's Name
- Mother's Name (Maiden name)
- Social Security Number
- Veteran's Discharge or Claim Number
- Marital Status
- Bring clothing & pictures of deceased with you to funeral arrangemnt conference.
- Make a list of immediate family, close friends, employer and business colleagues. Notify each by phone.
- Gather obituary information, including age, place of birth, occupation, college degrees, memberships held, military service, outstanding work and list of survivors in immediate family. The funeral home will write the death notice & obituary and submit to newspapers.
- The funeral home will notify Social Security if the deceased was entitled to and receiving checks. Form SSA 721 will be sent.
- Coordinate the supplying of food for the next several days and hospitality for visiting friends and relatives.
- Locate the will and notify lawyer and executor. The will may not be probated until 10 days after the death.
- Check carefully all life and casualty insurance and death benefits , including Social Security, credit union, trade union, fraternal, and military. Check also on income for survivors from these sources. Our funeral home will make any contacts necessary for these benefits.
- Check promptly on all debts and installment payments, including credit cards. Some may carry insurance clauses that will cancel them. If there is to be a delay in meeting payments, consult with creditors and ask for more time before the payments are due. If deceased was living alone, notify utilities and landlord and tell post office where to send mail.
What to do when death occurs away from home
CALL STELLATO FUNERAL HOME AT (201) 438-4664 day or night.
When funeral arrangements must unexpectedly be made away from home, and family hearts are filled with mixed emotions, it is difficult to know what to do. The best practice is to contact us.
We take charge from then on and make all the arrangements for conveying of the deceased to the local funeral home for embalming and preparation for return to NJ. You only need contact us with some basic information and call us when you return to NJ to set a time for an arrangement conference. For us to assume the costs as outlined, you must call us directly so we can engage our representatives at the place of death.
By our engaging of a funeral home in the state where the death occured, we pay trade prices for all expenses incurred there. This saves you a great deal of expense. It also relieves you of all burdens and allows you to return home to finalize all arrangments here.
|HOME | ABOUT US | GENERAL INFO | SERVICES |
MERCHANDISE | PRE-PLANNING | AFTERCARE | OBITUARIES